IDEAS TO SET YOUR SELF-CARE ROUTINE ROLLING
Living a healthy life isn’t just about what’s on your dinner plate or what you do at the gym. True holistic wellness focuses on your emotional, mental, and social health, too. That’s why I argue that it is just as important to work out your self-care muscle as it is to get your sweat on doing your favourite activity (and as I’ll argue in a sec—maybe even more important).
If you tend to put yourself at the very end of your priority list, especially when that list gets long, that means you not only are neglecting yourself, but you’re also neglecting everyone who relies on you.
So practically, how do you go about including self-care in your daily routine? For me, I have to make it part of my to-do list—quite literally. On most mornings, I get up and make a task list for the day.
Below you’ll find my personal list of self-care ideas, but I think everyone should make their own list of self-care ideas to pull from daily! This list isn’t one-size-fits-all, so you can create one.
- Give yourself a pedicure or a manicure.
- Read a book or magazine for an hour.
- Sit on the front porch. Just. Sit.
- Take a bubble bath—complete with candles and calming music.
- Pick or buy a bouquet of fresh flowers.
- Take a leisurely walk without a goal.
- Put on a homemade face mask.
- Give myself permission to binge watch my latest show obsession without guilt.
- Take a nap.
- Order in dinner.
- Do something crafty: colouring, knitting, sewing.
- Go to the library or bookstore. Sit in a comfy chair and read.
- Watch funny YouTube videos.
- Sit in the grass and watch the clouds float by.
- Look at the stars.
- Dance to your favourite music.