FIFTEEN REASONS WHY IT IS IMPORTANT TO OWN A DIARY
”Inside your diary, baby fit me inside your diary, in your diary baby I want to be inside your diary”
These are the lyrics from a song titled ‘Diary by Fuse ODG ft Tiwa Savage’. Throughout this song, Fuse ODG makes it clear how important a lady takes her diary. He not only pointed out how she uses it as a form of reminder but also indicates that only important things are written in them which prompted his lyrics above.
During my secondary days, owning a diary was essential for every girl; not like the school made it compulsory, but it just happened. From that time until this moment, I still have a diary where I write memorable events, important activities, birthdays and a whole lot of stuff that I consider important.
In the past, many people regularly kept personal diaries, where they recorded the day’s events and their observations. Without diarist like Wole Soyinka who wrote an entire book of poetry on tissue paper while in prison, we wouldn’t know much about this personal side of our history. The book documented his arrest account and life while in prison for 22-months. The book titled, ‘The Man Died: Prison Notes of Wole Soyinka’, was written secretly while he was in prison.”
Although people nowadays keep blogs or vlogs, and record their lives on social media, very few of us put pen to paper and write down our experiences. Why not try it?
Below are fifteen reasons why keeping a diary is important:
- You can record your thoughts and feelings.
- You can record special events.
- This is a kind of therapy after bad days.
- You can record normal events too.
- In fact, it’s therapeutic even on good days!
- Use it to appreciate your successes.
- You can improve your writing skills and even develop a story from it like Wole Soyinka.
- Assess your mistakes.
- Give the future something to look back on!
- You can create a to-do-list
- You probably have like a thousand pictures, use your dairy to create a scrapbook.
- Use it as a dream journal especially if you find it difficult remembering your dreams.
- You can write future letters to yourself in them.
- You can use your diary to increase your vocabulary knowledge by writing new words to learn daily in them.
- It can also be used as a tool to gain a new perspective on things.