YAM BALLS: RECIPE FOR MAKING THIS AFRICAN DELICACY
Yam balls make an incredible snack or appetizer. They can be made plain or with fillings including mincemeat, sweet corn, fish, etc. It can also be eaten along with peppery or chilli dips. Getting these from a nearby market is one step to getting this delicacy prepared:
- A tuber of white yam
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄2teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped spring onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- seasoned flour, for dusting
- oil, for shallow frying
- Peel the yam, cut into pieces and boil in salted water for about 30 mins until tender. Drain and mash.
- Add the onion, tomatoes, thyme, chilli, spring onion, garlic, then stir in the egg and seasoning and mix well.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop a little of the mixture at a time and mould into balls.
- Heat a little oil in a large frying pan, roll the yam balls in the seasoned flour and fry for a few minutes until golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen paper and keep them warm while cooking the rest of the mixture.
- Serve hot.