HEART DISEASE: THE NUMBER ONE KILLER OF WOMEN
It will be surprising to think that most ladies still believe breast cancer is the number one killer of women. There is no doubt breast cancer is a major disease affecting the woman race in the world. In Nigeria, about 10,000 cancer deaths are recorded annually while 250,000 new cases are recorded yearly.
But facts have proven that heart disease is the number one killer of women both in United States and Worldwide. Heart disease also known as cardiovascular disease causes one out of every three deaths amongst women and It affects every lady in all age group due to different factors.
For girls, teenagers and young adults it might be as a result of lack of physical activity, tobacco intake or overweight. While middle-aged and older women can suffer heart disease due to high blood pressure, high cholesterol level and atherosclerosis.
Below are some ways of preventing heart disease:
- Do not smoke: Smoking of any kind can put you at a high risk of getting heart disease. It is even worse if you smoke and take birth control pills at the same time because, it increases your chances of developing a blood clot.
- Exercise: Exercise the body for about 30 minutes on most days it helps to keep the body fit.
- Eat healthy diet: Take lots of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Also avoid too much salt and sugar in your diet.
- Get regular health screening: make out time to check your blood pressure, cholesterol level and go for diabetes screening.
- Get enough quality sleep: Sleep helps to reduce stress and relaxes the body muscles and organs.