Let’s Be Honest
If I were to ask you, “Who Are You,” would you be able to answer? I’m sure that sounds easy but are you honest enough with yourself to where, this question can wholeheartedly be answered with the good, the bad, the ugly, and the indifferent; revealing all of your ugly truths, not just the things you desire for people to know.
Let’s be honest, you probably aren’t even fully sure of who you are. We all have things that we mask, things that we do not allow to be placed in the forefront of our minds because that means it is no longer hidden. But here’s a word from the wise, you cannot conquer what you do not confront. You will remain stagnate and in this continual cycle until you are willing to admit that you are NOT okay and that something needs to change.
But wait, let’s pause, you do know that is okay to not be okay right? If no one has ever told you that, allow me to be the first, IT IS OKAY TO NOT BE OKAY! God’s word says that His power is made perfect in your weakness (2 Corinthians 12:9). So in confronting the ugly truths, you must first be honest with yourself and accept the fact that you do not have it all together. Humble yourself before God, be naked and unashamed with Him. Challenge yourself to peel back the layers so that these things can be confronted and conquered.
After all, who else has the capability to handle it and fix it all at the same time? Certainly not you, definitely not your friends, not even your parents or your favorite aunt and uncle. If they had the capability to fix it, there would be no need for Him. And let’s be honest again, some of those same people could even be a part of the reason your ugly truths are masked or even present anyway. You’re afraid of their judgment, their criticism, and their whispers. I’m very certain there is no one else who can help you strengthen, heal, and overcome all at the same time.
So let’s get down to the nitty gritty, what does this honesty process look like?
- You must be committed. Commit to this process, commit to God. Please know this, without commitment nothing happens. You cannot conquer what you are not committed to.
- You must reveal. Ask God to reveal to you the dark areas in your life that need His light. Some things are hidden because they are habitual. Other things are hidden because you have not invited Him in. Either way, ask for these things to be revealed to you.
- You must be intentional. Make it your priority to deepen your relationship with God. You cannot ask God to reveal you to you and you are not taking time to commune with Him. How can He possibly reveal your truths clearly, when you are not setting aside time to hear from Him?
- You must be still. Often times, we busy ourselves with pointless things and pointless people. THESE ARE DISTRACTIONS! Distractions can hinder your growth and your destiny. This process will require work, however, you must work distraction free.
- You must be okay with sitting in solitary. In order to overcome the ugly places of you, all of your distractions will be removed, and you will be forced to deal with you, JUST YOU. This is okay because some seasons are meant for you to walk through alone. In doing so, you will know that it was all God who walked you through the Valley.
I know it’s tight and no, it will not be easy but take comfort in knowing that you are not alone! We are getting better together. Your Heavenly Father, Abba, is also walking with you! If you need the slightest ounce of encouragement through this process, take a moment to read Psalm 23. Focus heavily on these verses,” He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name. Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.”
Kiara Potts is a native of small town, Tallassee, AL and is the Founder and CEO of Key Inspires, Writing and Resume Services. Described by family and friends as an “Instrument of Help” and a “Worldwide Beacon of Inspiration,” Kiara uses her current platform to inspire others to become confident in their pursuit of a professional career while offering motivational nuggets of encourage to fuel their personal ambitions. The vision for Key Inspires was truly birthed on accident through the creation of hashtag but this vision was of no surprise to God. For more information, you may find Kiara online at www.keyinspires.com or on social media @KeyInspires via Facebook and Instagram.